A true Agora product, the Hydrogen and PtX Training was jointly developed by Agora’s Hydrogen and Training teams to form a two-week full-time immersion into the world of renewable hydrogen and Power-to-X (PtX). With multidisciplinary sessions from Agora experts in the field and a practical step-by-step guidance in stakeholder identification and policy recommendation development, participants will use their specific country's hydrogen situation as the basis for their analysis.
For this training, Agora Energiewende invites a group of eight participants for an intensive two-week training on Hydrogen and PtX at our office in Berlin, Germany. Over the course of the programme, participants will take part in training sessions, prepared and facilitated by Agora Energiewende’s hydrogen experts. These multi-disciplinary sessions will cover the primary aspects of hydrogen, including technological, political, and economic perspectives as well as the sustainability criteria needed to develop hydrogen economies. In a series of exercises, participants are guided to map the hydrogen policy context and relevant stakeholders in their respective countries and discuss their learnings within the group. Developing an independent policy recommendation fitting into participants individual national and organizational contexts forms the core of this exercise.
The goal of the programme is to empower participants to act as drivers of change in their country’s energy transition by strengthening their abilities to weigh the opportunities and risks associated with hydrogen and PtX technologies.
After participating in the Hydrogen and PtX Training, participants will be able to:
- Evaluate technological and economic landscapes and their associated policy implications
- Critically discuss sustainability aspects of transitioning towards renewable hydrogen economies
- Better understand the roles of relevant stakeholders driving national hydrogen debates
- Tailor and communicate messages to different audiences
The Hydrogen and PtX Training takes place twice a year as spring and fall cohorts.
- Spring 2024: 11.03.-22.03.2024 (cohort has been selected)
- Fall 2024: 16.9.-27.9.2024 (cohort in selection)
If you want to receive e-mail updates about our training programmes and new calls for application, please sign up here.
Over the course of the 2-week Hydrogen and PtX Training, participants will receive:
- Tailored and interactive sessions prepared by in-house Agora Industry and Agora Energiewende experts
- Facilitation of a political economy analysis of the hydrogen and PtX debate in each participant’s country. This includes identifying relevant stakeholders, ranking them according to power and influence as well as analysing their specific positions on hydrogen and PtX, and developing policy recommendations for their national contexts.
- Peer-to-peer exchange and the opportunity to expand their network of international PtX and energy transition experts.
- The opportunity to visit a facility engaged in renewable hydrogen
Upon completion of the programme participants will receive:
- A certificate documenting participation
- Access to the PtX Hub’s training alumni Network
The programme will be of particular interest to applicants from countries in which hydrogen and PtX technologies are already deployed or future hydrogen economies are envisioned. To be considered eligible for the Hydrogen and PtX Training, participants must fulfil several criteria:
- Applicants must be a national of an Official Development Aid (ODA recipient) country.
- Applicants must be currently employed by or affiliated with a think tank or other non-governmental organisation working in the energy transition field (exceptions see below). Unfortunately, currently enrolled bachelor’s/master’s university students and job seekers are not eligible to join our programmes.
- Applicants must have around five to seven years of relevant professional experience in the energy sector. We are looking for participants who are already actively engaged and eager to guide national discussions in the energy transition and on PtX, rather than those who fit a particular age requirement. They should be willing to increase their impact as drivers of change in the energy transformation.
- Applicants should bring with them a strong understanding of power systems, energy economics, climate and energy policy, and policy instruments/processes.
- Applicants must hold a bachelor’s degree or equivalent from an accredited university, in economics, environmental science, engineering, political science, or similar (master’s degree preferred).
- Applicants must have excellent verbal and written communication skills in English.
The Hydrogen and PtX Training takes place in Berlin, requiring participants to travel to Germany. To facilitate their travel to and stay in Berlin, the following training package – including modest financial support – is offered to all participants:
- A letter of support for visa processes
- Full reimbursement of participants’ flight costs
- All-expenses paid accommodation in Berlin
- Berlin-wide public transportation tickets for the duration of the training
- A modest daily stipend
- International travel health insurance
- CO2 compensation of participants’ flights
The following costs must be borne by the participant:
- Any costs or fees connected to visa processes
- Travel costs for transport to and from airports
- Other personal costs arising during the time in Berlin
Project Officer Hydrogen